During a courtesy visit by the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshall Isiaka Amoo to Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, governor of Kaduna state, the governor insisted that in spite of the threat and menace of bandit attacks in Northern Nigeria, state schools will not be shut down.
El-Rufai revealed that he held a meeting on Tuesday with top government officials and heads of security agencies, civil society organisations, clerics and clergymen as well as other stakeholders to deliberate on the dangers facing students and promised that bandits will not be given the power to decide and dictate the educational policy or destroy the livelihood of children and their future.
The governor said, ‘’We will keep our schools open, we are confident that with the guidance that we have been getting, from the Garrison Commander, Base Commander, the AOC, GOC and the ability of the security agencies to respond in a timely manner, our schools will remain open.”
He however noted that there has not really been fully successful abduction by the bandits.
“So far, all the attempts by bandits to carry out abductions have not been fully successful. This is largely due to the preparatory work done by the security agencies in advance.
“We knew we would be targeted because of our stance. But the security agencies were ready for them.
‘’We appreciate the efforts and the timely response of the Armed Forces and we will continue to urge you to sustain the tempo,” the governor said.
However, he added that only the most vulnerable schools will be closed because the security agencies, due to terrain and distance, cannot get there very quickly.
Picture Credit: Twitter